Media to witness drug destruction

“After we’ve received the plan, we will then have 14 days to notify the High Court about it before the actual destruction.”

Friday 20 December 2024 | 08:00

For the first time the media is going to be invited to witness the destruction of the 4.1 tonne drugs in Nadi.

Deputy Director of Public Prosecution, John Rabuku made this confirmation while responding to this masthead about updates on the destruction plan.

Last Thursday, the High Court in Suva ruled in favour of the state’s application to destroy the vast haul of drugs which had been kept in Police custody since the beginning of this year.

Still in process

Mr Rabuku said Police was still in the process of drafting the plan to destroy the drugs before it is then passed to the DPP’s office.

“One thing I can say is the media will be invited; I think once everything is settled, an invitation will then be sent to all the media companies to witness the destruction of the drugs,” Mr Rabuku assured.

“After we’ve received the plan, we will then have 14 days to notify the High Court about it before the actual destruction.”

Mr Rabuku said the plan is going include key details including the time and venue.

“You will probably be able to get a fair idea of the plan once we’ve given a copy to the defence and maybe they’ll be willing to disclose it to the media,” he said.

Feedback: Beranadeta@fijisun.com.fj