Military officers questioned over Vakarise death

Mr Tudravu said investigations into the alleged breach at military facilities were also continuing.

Wednesday 20 May 2026 | 19:00

Police have recorded statements from military officers as investigations continue into the death of Jone Vakarise in military custody on April 17.

Police Commissioner Rusiate Tudravu confirmed yesterday that no one had been charged.

“I want to clarify that our teams are now at the camp,” Mr Tudravu said.

“They’ve been there in the past few days, and the investigation is going on well. We are happy that the Commander has already, as I’ve stated, given the support towards Police investigation.”

Mr Tudravu said that as of yesterday, he had not been updated on whether anyone had been taken in for questioning.

“As of now the statements are being recorded. The investigation team are zeroing in to that area, and I’ll come to that with an update if it’s reached that,” he said.

“There are a few military officers whose statements have been recorded and for those that are up at the (military) medical centre, who had received the body.

“We are heading there and we are closely following the process and procedure that need to be done.”

Mr Tudravu said investigations into the alleged breach at military facilities were also continuing.

“It’s running simultaneously. The Commander has given his approval on both, and there are two teams that are covering that, and all investigations are going on.

“Some of the records that we need to be uplifted are already with our investigation team.”



Explore more on these topics