Minibus drivers seek equal fuel support
The operators said they had been left out of support measures announced this week for bus operators.
Friday 22 May 2026 | 22:00
Minibus operators struggling with rising fuel costs are calling on the Government and the Fijian Competition and Consumer Commission (FCCC) to extend fare relief assistance to their sector.
The operators said they had been left out of support measures announced this week for bus operators.
Namosi permit holder William Danford said diesel costs for a one-way trip from Suva to Lautoka had doubled from $50 to $100 since the recent fuel price increase.
Related stories
“We are expecting the Government to give us some subsidy for fuel or to put up our fares,” Mr Danford said.
“Groceries have gone up 35 per cent. We don’t know what’s going to happen next.”
Sigatoka-based minivan owner Suvran Lata, who has been driving for 26 years, said fuel costs for her Sigatoka-Suva return trip had increased from $70 to $120.
“This is the hardest, hardest time,” Ms Lata said.
“I bought a new van and it’s very hard to make my payment. I’m paying $2,500 a month and I don’t think I can manage it now.”
Both operators supported a 22.5 per cent fare increase — the same rate approved by Government for bus operators this week — as a fair starting point.
Vitiminibus Cooperative Limited has formally called on Government to extend fuel assistance to minibus operators, saying the exclusion was “deeply unfair” because both sectors served the same commuting public.
FCCC chief executive Senikavika Jiuta said no formal submission on minibus fares had been received, but confirmed the commission had contacted the association.
Mr Danford said the cooperative planned to lodge its submission on June 2.
Explore more on these topics
Advertisement
Advertise with Fiji Sun