Mother’s Day celebration ends in tragedy for Nadi family
Relatives say Maleli Nawaqa was the glue that held the family together before his life was cut short in a tragic road accident.
Monday 18 May 2026 | 18:00
Maleli Natuado Nawaqa Snr. Inset: Deceased Maleli Natuado Nawaqa Jnr.
A Mother’s Day celebration turned into heartbreak for a Nadi family after the sudden loss of the man they say held the family together.
Thirty-six-year-old Maleli Natuado Nawaqa died after he was allegedly struck by a vehicle along Denarau Road in the early hours of Sunday morning.
For the Nawaqa family, he was more than the eldest of eight siblings.
Originally from Narewa Village in Waicoba, Nadroga, with maternal links to Suweni Village in Cakaudrove, Mr Nawaqa was born and raised in Noke Settlement in Nadi on his grandmother’s land, where he spent most of his life farming vegetables and root crops.
His uncle and namesake, Maleli Natuado Nawaqa, said the family was struggling to come to terms with the loss.
“He was the pillar of our family,” Mr Nawaqa said.
“He was a humble and cheerful man who always brought joy wherever he went.”
Known widely around Nadi, Mr Nawaqa worked in various jobs before dedicating most of his life to farming — work his family said he took pride in because it allowed him to provide for loved ones.
Last Saturday night, he visited relatives at Nasawa Settlement for a grog session, something he regularly did before walking home.
“That was the last conversation we had,” Mr Nawaqa said.
Mr Nawaqa said instead of gathering to celebrate Mother’s Day, the family found itself identifying his body at the hospital.
“We were all looking forward to celebrating Mother’s Day together, but instead we found ourselves identifying his body at the hospital. It was heartbreaking,” he said.
The funeral will be held on Saturday at Narewa Village in Waicoba, Nadroga.
The driver, 23-year-old Daren Prasad, managing director of Crown Kava Suppliers and director of Daren Investment Pte Limited, also died in the accident.
Mr Prasad was originally from Taveuni and was residing at Saru Back Road in Lautoka.
Police confirmed both men were pronounced dead on arrival at Nadi Hospital, while a passenger travelling in the same vehicle remains admitted in stable condition at Lautoka Aspen Hospital.
“The first victim, a 23-year-old resident of Saru Back Road in Lautoka, is alleged to have lost control of his vehicle, causing it to veer off the road and hit a 36-year-old man from Noke Settlement who was walking along the roadside,” police said in a statement.
“Both victims were rushed to Nadi Hospital, where they were unfortunately pronounced dead on arrival.
“A third victim, a passenger travelling in the same vehicle, has been transferred to Lautoka Aspen Hospital, where he remains admitted in stable condition.”
The national road death toll now stands at 19, compared with 21 for the same period last year.
Explore more on these topics
Advertisement
Advertise with Fiji Sun