No budget allocation to compensate rescued Lakeba medical team

Minister says welfare and recovery are the priority, while safer transport arrangements are being developed for future maritime outreaches.

Saturday 22 August 2026 | 06:30

The six Lakeba medical team members rescued from open waters in Lau last month in Parliament on August 21, 2026.

The Lakeba medical team members rescued from open waters in Lau last month in Parliament on August 21, 2026.

Photo: Parliament of Fiji

There is no budgetary allocation to compensate the six Lakeba medical team members rescued from open waters in Lau on July 30.

However, Minister for Health Dr Ratu Atonio Lalabalavu said the ministry would approach business houses and development partners if the survivors required specific assistance.

He said the immediate priority was their welfare and full recovery.

“Civil servants in general, there’s no budgetary allocation for compensation. For now, the main priority is their welfare and recovery,” Dr Lalabalavu said.

“Part of their recovery is to come out and attend this kind of event. They are doing well. There are doctors who are looking after them and keeping a close eye on them. When they are well, then they will be allowed to tell their story.”

The six have also expressed interest in returning to Lau.

“We come back with broken spirits but renewed hearts, more committed than ever to serve the maritime communities of Lau and this nation Fiji,” Charge Nurse Livinai Namami said.

While the six remain in Suva for recovery, some of their family members are still in Lau. Dr Lalabalavu said the ministry was putting measures in place to prevent a similar incident.

These included a more structured arrangement to prioritise the Government vessel MV Veivueti for planned medical outreaches.

He said the measures were aimed at ensuring medical teams travelling to maritime communities had safer and more reliable transport arrangements.



Explore more on these topics