Opposition slams Govt over delayed back-to-school payments

Four weeks into the term, parents are still waiting for critical support to cover school essentials.

Tuesday 17 February 2026 | 05:00

Opposition Member of Parliament Hem Chand.

Opposition Member of Parliament Hem Chand.

Photo: Parliament of Fiji

The Opposition has accused the Government of failing families, saying many parents are still waiting for back-to-school assistance payments four weeks into the school term.

Opposition MP Hem Chand said the delays were unacceptable and were placing unnecessary pressure on households that depend on the support to prepare their children for school.

He said parents and students had been sent from one office to another while trying to resolve missing payments, creating frustration and hardship.

“Administrative shortcomings should not punish families,” he said.

“Many depend on this assistance to buy uniforms, bags and stationery. Delays can affect students’ learning.”

Mr Chand said it was the responsibility of the Ministry of Education to ensure application forms were properly checked and processed on time.

He called on the Government to urgently fix the problem and provide clear information to affected parents.

In response, Education Minister Aseri Radrodro said delays were mainly caused by incomplete or incorrectly filled forms submitted by parents and guardians.

He said application forms were to be completed at schools during a seven-week period that ended in December.

However, some forms lacked important student details, including identification numbers and contact information.

Mr Radrodro said once forms were submitted, they were sent to the Ministry of Finance for verification. If details were incomplete, the forms were returned for correction before payments could be processed.

He said the verification process was ongoing and payments would be made once all information was properly confirmed.

Despite the explanation, some parents say the delay is adding financial strain at a time when school expenses are already high.

The Opposition maintains the Government must take responsibility for ensuring the system works efficiently so that eligible students receive support without further delay.

Feedback: rariqi.turner@fijisun.com.fj






News you can trust:

This story was verified by multiple sources
This story was fact-checked

Explore more on these topics