Aspiring Teen Boxer Stopped from Participating

“I have taken the matter to BCF (Boxing Commission of Fiji) who has advised me to take it to FASANOC, Fiji National Sports Commission and Government. 

Wednesday 28 February 2024 | 10:13

A 14-year-old student has been told not to fight in the local amateur boxing programmes because he had been fighting in exhibition bouts.

When contacted yesterday Fiji Amateur Boxing Association (FABA) official Anil Chand referred the matter to general secretary Viliame Kasanawaqa.

“I’m not aware of it,” Kasanawaqa told SUNsports when asked.

The boy’s father said his son, an enthusiastic boxer, was stopped from participating in the Golden Gloves competition early this year.

“We were told by the head of the organising committee that my son cannot take part because he had been fighting in exhibition bouts,” the father alleged.

“I have taken the matter to BCF (Boxing Commission of Fiji) who has advised me to take it to FASANOC, Fiji National Sports Commission and Government.

“Also, I’m seeking legal advice on the matter where my son, a minor, is denied his rights to participate in boxing programmes. I won’t stop here, I will fight for my son’s rights.”

BCF chairman Adi Narayan said it was a sad day if FABA has taken such action on an innocent teenager.

In an exhibition bout, it’s a sports match, which is not part of a competition but instead serves the function of demonstrating skills of the participants.

“This is a kid who loves boxing and has been fighting in exhibition bouts as a sort of entertainment. The decision taken by FABA, to me is a matter of a personnel one,” Narayan said.

The no-nonsense administrator said we should be encouraging young boxing enthusiasts like this 14-year-old as in future they could be winning the country medals in international competition.’

Feedback: leonec@fijisun.com.fj