Bati, Kumuls Test Clash Called Off

FNRL acting chief executive Don Natabe has confirmed that another stand-alone Test between the two sides in late July has also been squashed.

Friday 04 June 2021 | 14:43

Vodafone Fijian Bati forward Ben Nakubuwai delivers a pass against PNG Kumuls in 2019. Bati won 22-20. Photo: NRL.com

Vodafone Fijian Bati forward Ben Nakubuwai delivers a pass against PNG Kumuls in 2019. Bati won 22-20. Photo: NRL.com

With the COVID-19 restrictions on international travel still in place, all eeforts to get warm-up matches for the Vodafone Fijian Bati side to prepare for the Rugby League World Cup has been in vain.

The Fiji National Rugby League (FNRL) had earlier secured a mid-year Test match against the Papua New Guinea Kumuls but now they have to cancel it.

FNRL acting chief executive Don Natabe has confirmed that another stand-alone Test between the two sides in late July has also been squashed.

“We had hoped Papua New Guinea could meet Fiji in late July as part of the mid-season international clashes that have quickly grown in popularity,” he said.

“However, the challenges of international movements created by COVID made the mid-season Tests unviable.

“The Asia Pacific’s best men’s international teams will now turn their focus towards the Rugby League World Cup 2021 after confirming that mid-season Test matches in Australia could not go ahead.”

The Fijian Bati last played a Test match in 2019 against Lebanon at the Leichardt Oval in Sydney, which they won.

Natabe said securing Test matches for the Joe Rabele coached-side had been a priority for his administration towards ensuring a well-prepared team that would represent Fiji at the RLWC in England, which is from October 23 to November 27.

Feedbackwaisean@fijisun.com.fj