Kikau Charged, Sivo Slammed

Penrith Panthers forward Viliame Kikau has been charged with grade two dangerous contact following Friday’s victory over Cronulla Sharks.

Wednesday 26 August 2020 | 10:54

Eels winger, Maika Sivo scres against Melbourne Storm.

Eels winger, Maika Sivo scres against Melbourne Storm.

Penrith Panthers forward Viliame Kikau has been charged with grade two dangerous contact following Friday’s victory over Cronulla Sharks.

The 25-year-old Bau, Tailevu native received the charge for an off-the-ball tackle on Sharks halfback Braydon Trindall in the 77th minute of the game at Panthers Stadium.

Kikau faces a one-week suspension with the early guilty plea (150 points) or two weeks on the sideline if he is found guilty at judiciary (200 point-s).

Koroisau misses Tigers clash

Scans have revealed the extent of the calf injury suffered by Panthers Api Koroisau in victory over Cronulla Sharks.

The Panthers hooker has been diagnosed with a grade one calf strain.

Although relatively minor in nature, the injury will see Koroisau miss this Saturday’s ‘sold out’ clash with Wests Tigers.

His potential availability for the club’s Round 17 game against Brisbane Broncos will be determined early next week.

Tallis calls out Sivo’s ‘gamesmanship’

Brisbane legend Gorden Tallis has claimed that Maika Sivo has a habit of staying down in a bid to win more penalties from crusher tackles.

Sivo was at the heart of a furore on Thursday night after the Parramatta winger was accused of trying to milk penalties.

It was a suggestion levelled at Eels coach Brad Arthur after his side’s win over Melbourne.

Arthur scoffed at the criticism in his post-match press conference but Craig Bellamy seemed to hint that some Parramatta players had been trying to earn a penalty.

“I think I disagree with Brad on that,” Bellamy said before making a hasty exit.

The Storm had Cooper Johns and Albert Vete put on report but neither were charged.

It comes after the NRL launched a crackdown on crusher tackles early last week.

As a result Moeaki Fotuaika (Titans), Paul Vaughan (Dragons) and Marata Niukore (Eels) are all facing the judiciary this week on crusher charges.

But Tallis said Sivo in particular had a habit of looking to gain an upper hand by laying down when there was a slight hint of a crusher tackle.

“The second one on Sivo when he looked and just laid down I doubt whether there was pressure on his neck but Sivo does lay down a bit,” Tallis told Triple M.

“He’s one of those guys coming off his try line, Minnie Mouse would tackle him and he’d stay down but when he’s going for a try the Incredible Hulk can’t stop him.

“He’s one of those guys Sivo, he’s got a bit of a lay down in him.”

The Fox Sports Lab showed that the Eels had been the beneficiaries of the most crusher tackle penalties since Round 11.

Tallis, who said it was a blatant example of “gamesmanship”, offered a solution to the NRL’s new rules and said referees should intervene and ensure the game continues.

Feedback: oseab@fijisun.com.fj