Bail For Man Allegedly Abused By Police
A 23-year-old is a suspect in an alleged case of drugs and was arrested after he was found in possession of a white substance believed to be methamphetamine on March 5, 2019 (last week) in Labasa.
Wednesday 13 March 2019 | 08:31
Labasa Magistrate Timoci Qalinauci granted Roneld Prasad’s bail application yesterday.
A 23-year-old is a suspect in an alleged case of drugs and was arrested after he was found in possession of a white substance believed to be methamphetamine on March 5, 2019 (last week) in Labasa.
The accused represented by a private counsel Amrit Sen appeared in court with a pair of crutches and injuries on his right leg and right ear.
Related stories
Mr Prasad claimed that he was assaulted by a Police officer and has reported against him.
Mr Sen said Prasad hasn’t been charged yet and his health condition was not good and hence made a bail application.
Two sureties were provided, Rajen Prasad and Rajneel Kumar.
Magistrate Qalinauci released the accused on strict bail conditions and ordered the sureties to pay a bond of $400.
He further stated that the accused to report to the Labasa Police Station on the last Saturday of the month, not to change his residential address, not to interfere with a state witness and to surrender his travel documents.
Police prosecutor constable Abinash Prasad said they needed time to amend charges as the accused was alleged to have committed serious assault, resisted arrest and obstructed a Police officer from doing his work.
The case has been adjourned to May 27.
Edited by Susana Tuilau
Feedback: shratikan@fijisun.com.fj