Businessmen Bailed over Meth Charges

Police prosecutor Constable Sami objected to bail, stating that Aiyaz was charged earlier with a similar offence, and while he was on bail, he was arrested for the second time.

Friday 24 May 2024 | 14:59

From Left: Defence lawyer John Prasad talking to his clients, Mohammed Aiyaz and Mohammed Sameer (fully covered) escorted by police at the Labasa Magistrate’s Court, Labasa, on May 22, 2024. Photo: Shratika Naidu

From Left: Defence lawyer John Prasad talking to his clients, Mohammed Aiyaz and Mohammed Sameer (fully covered) escorted by police at the Labasa Magistrate’s Court, Labasa, on May 22, 2024. Photo: Shratika Naidu

Two Labasa businessmen, who were separately allegedly found in possession of methamphetamine, were released on bail by the Labasa Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday.

The two, Mohammed Sameer and Mohammed Aiyaz, each charged with one count of unlawful possession of illicit drugs, appeared before Magistrate Bimsara Jagodage.

Aiyaz was also charged with one count of breach of bail.

It is alleged that on May 14, 2024, Sameer was in possession of 0.057 grams of methamphetamine, and on May 15, 2024, Aiyaz was discovered with 1.627 grams of methamphetamine in his residence.

Defence lawyer John Prasad represented both businessmen. For Sameer, Police prosecutor Constable Ashwin Sami objected to bail on the grounds of public interest.

Mr Prasad, in his bail application, said Sameer had no pending matters or previous convictions.

He added that Sameer had a permanent residence, and there was no evidence presented by the prosecution that his client would not attend court on all his dates.

Sameer was granted bail on a cash bail bond of $500 with strict conditions. The case was adjourned for a plea on June 18.

Meanwhile, Aiyaz was remanded at the Labasa Corrections Centre.

Police prosecutor Constable Sami objected to bail, stating that Aiyaz was charged earlier with a similar offence, and while he was on bail, he was arrested for the second time.

He added that there was a likely chance that Aiyaz would re-offend, and he was a threat to the community.

Mr Prasad argued that remanding his client should be the last option for the court to resort to.

He submitted that in his client’s previous matters, a bail bond had been issued in which his client was willing to forfeit in addition to $1000 cash bail.

Mr Prasad said there were also three sureties present in court.

He then submitted that Aiyaz had not been charged for absconding bail, his client had appeared on all his court dates as per the requirements under the bail act, meeting the primary consideration for bail.

All other factors to be considered were secondary.

Magistrate Jagodage refused bail, instructing the defence to file a formal bail application. The case was adjourned to June 4 for a plea.

Feedback: shratikan@fijisun.com.fj