'Fiji ready to help Vanuatu'
"We stand ready, we have our people ready under training at Blackrock," Mr Rabuka said.
Wednesday 18 December 2024 | 08:50
Major landslides and buildings have been destroyed following the 7.3 magnitude earthquake that rocked Vanuatu yesterday. So far, only one casualty has been reported by authorities in Vanuatu when SEE ALSO » P28 ■ Your work defines Fiji's reputation on the global stage this edition went to press. Photo: Dan McGarry
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is working swiftly with the Vanuatu government to identify Fijians who might be affected by the powerful 7.3 earthquake that shook Vanuatu yesterday.
Prime Minister and Minister for Foreign Affairs Sitiveni Rabuka could not confirm if Fijians were severely affected but asserted that Fiji stood ready to send assistance to Vanuatu.
"We stand ready, we have our people ready under training at Blackrock," Mr Rabuka said.
Related stories
"They can very quickly be deployed with our disaster management team from regional development."
Minister for Defence and Veteran Affairs Pio Tikoduadua echoed similar sentiments.
"We are closely monitoring the aftermath of the 7.3 earthquake that struck near Vanuatu," Mr Tikoduadua said.
"Fiji stands ready to assist in any way we can in the relief efforts with our partners."
According to the United States Geological Survey (USGS), the quake occurred 30 kilometres (18.6 miles) west of the Pacific island nation's capital, at a depth of around 57.1 kilometres (35.5 miles), soon after midday.
A 5.5 aftershock occurred shortly thereafter. One casualty was confirmed yesterday by Vanuatu authorities when this edition went to press.
Telecommunications have been disrupted in Vanuatu while emails, photos and videos coming out of Vanuatu and dominating social media have been made possible through Starlink.
Feedback: jone.salusalu@fijisun.com.fj