Authorities Want End to Pirate Vehicles After Alleged Assault Incident

“This issue is not new. It’s time for decisive action to protect lives and livelihoods,” he said.

Monday 06 January 2025 | 10:41

Tourists from the cruise liner Crown Princess took time to visit the capital city despite the wet weather on January 5, 2025. Photo: Leon Lord

Tourists from the cruise liner Crown Princess took time to visit the capital city despite the wet weather on January 5, 2025. Photo: Leon Lord

Authorities are under pres­sure to address the persis­tent issue of illegal vehicle op­erators, or "pirate vehicles," following the alleged rape and sexual assault of a Virgin Australia airline crew member on New Year's morning in Nadi.

Police charged a man in his 20s, believed to be a farmer, with one count each of rape and sexual as­sault over the weekend.

The accused is expected to appear in the Nadi Magistrate's Court to­day.

The alleged incident reportedly occurred after the victim, who had left a nightclub in Martinta, Nadi, accepted a ride from an unregis­tered taxi operator.

A second airline crew member was also attacked after being misdirect­ed by a group of young men, who then mugged and assaulted him.

The Fiji Taxi Association's general secretary, Ashwin Lal, expressed deep concern over the continued operations of pirate taxis, which he said posed a serious threat to public safety.

“We have been urging the Land Transport Authority (LTA) to clamp down on illegal taxi operators, but little has been done,” Mr Lal said.

“The safety of the public is at stake, and we must ensure that only registered drivers are allowed to operate.”

Mr Lal also warned that incidents like this could tarnish Fiji’s reputation as a tourist destination, particularly in areas like Nadi Airport, where many visitors rely on taxi services.

He urged locals and tourists alike to avoid unregistered transport providers, adding: “These drivers are not trained or qualified to provide safe services.”

The LTA previously warned private vehicle owners against conducting unauthorised Public Service Vehicle (PSV) operations.

Its chief executive officer, Irimaia Rokosawa, emphasised that such activities remain illegal and passengers also bear some responsibility.

“By paying pirate taxi operators, passengers contribute to the problem. If there’s no demand, there won’t be any supply,” he said.

Police have increased patrols in Nadi’s nightclub areas, including Martintar, to address rising security concerns.

Mr Lal called for stricter enforcement against illegal operators, noting that registered taxi drivers are losing out while the public remains vulnerable.

“This issue is not new. It’s time for decisive action to protect lives and livelihoods,” he said.

Feedback: inoke.rabonu@fijisun.com.fj