Commission to look into Ravalawa’s withdrawal
The Suva boxer had signed the contract to fight Krishnil Mudaliar for the Fiji super featherweight title on the same programme.
Saturday 06 April 2024 | 13:11
From left: Boxing Commission of Fiji chairman Adi Narayan, Ubaydullah Haider signs contract to with South Pacific Boxing Promotions promoter Fred Chand and Krishnil Mudaliar in Suva on April 5, 2024. Photo: Leone Cabenatabua
The Boxing Commission of Fiji (BCF) is going to look into the case of boxer Mikaele ‘High Voltage’ Ravalawa after he opted out of his fight against Mohammed Ali at Prince Charles Park, Nadi, on May 18.
South Pacific Boxing Promotions (SPBP) promoter Fred Chand said Ravalawa’s contract was signed by his manager and now his trainer has indicated that they are not fighting Ali for the Fiji super lightweight title, which is a 63.5kg fight.
“The trainer said that Mika is opting to fight overseas since he has no worthy opponents in Fiji,” Chand said.
This was disputed by boxer Ubaydullah Haider who had earlier indicated his intention to fight Ravalawa this year.
“Why fight in Australia when I’m the best featherweight boxer in Fiji,” Haider said on Friday.
The Suva boxer had signed the contract to fight Krishnil Mudaliar for the Fiji super featherweight title on the same programme.
BCF chairman Adi Narayan said they are going to into the matter.
In a release from Team Ravalawa posted on their Facebook page claimed, that they had wanted to fight Haider at 59kg or Junior Binnu Singh for the Fiji featherweight title at 57kg, which both boxers refused.
The release indicated that Ravalawa was offered to fight Ali at 63.5kg and after considering the matter they’ve decided to turn it down.
“This is not our boxer’s weight class and importantly it’s not of our best interest moving towards a world title,” stated the release.
Feedback: leonec@fijisun.com.fj