Three remanded on burglary, theft charges
Three young men were remanded by the Nasinu Magistrates Court yesterday after they appeared for charges of burglary and theft.
Roko Mate, 18, Peni Koroi Tabuavuni, 20, and Isoa Koroidimoku, 20, allegedly broke into and entered the house of Naresh Prasad in Nasinu with the intention to commit theft.
Related stories
They allegedly stole a drilling machine valued at $139, a saw valued at $159, a grinder valued at $79, a pair of canvas worth $377, a rope worth $10, a jacket valued at $8 and a drill set worth $9.50.
Police prosecutor Constable Setareki Mocevakaca served all three accused with full phase disclosures.
Their right to counsel was read out to them in court and they waived their rights by choosing to represent themselves in trial.
Constable Mocevakaca objected to their bail on the grounds that the offence was indictable in nature.
Magistrate Sufia Hamza remanded all three accused persons in custody and adjourned the case for first call in the High Court on February 23, 2018.
Man in custody for alleged rape of 7-year-old
A man in his 30s is in custody at the Nabouwalu Police Station in Vanua Levu after he allegedly raped a seven-year-old girl on different occasions in November last year.
This was confirmed by Police spokesperson, Ana Naisoro, yesterday.
“The alleged matter occurred at a settlement and came to light when the victim told other children about what happened whereby a report was lodged by the victim's aunty,” Ms Naisoro said.
“Investigations continue.”
SHRATIKA NAIDU