Four Accused Of Attempted Break-In Back In Court Today
The accused were allegedly armed with the intent of using offensive weapons.
Tuesday 10 May 2022 | 14:56
Semi Nate (in pink shirt), and Eparama Mani, (in green shirt) outside the Magistrates Court in Nausori on May 9, 2022.. Photo: Ashna Kumar
Four men were summoned to reappear at the Magistrates Court in Nausori today for their alleged involvement in an attempted home invasion.
The home that they allegedly attempted to break into is the home of a businessman in Vuci Road, Nausori. The alleged incident occurred last week.
The four are Eparama Mani, 40, Jone Anu, 37, Poate Radrekusa, 36, and Semi Nate, 40.
Related stories
They appeared before Magistrate Shageeth Somaratne yesterday.
The four accused persons on May 4 were allegedly armed with the intent of using the offensive weapons in the commission of an aggravated robbery.
A tip was received by the Eastern Division Task Force whereby a team of officers from Nakasi, Eastern Headquarters, and K9 were deployed at around 11.30pm to verify the information received.
The team of officers intercepted the four and despite an alleged attempt to flee the scene they were all arrested and taken to the Nausori Police Station.
They have all been charged with one count each of conspiracy, criminal trespass, and going equipped for theft of a property offence.
Magistrate Somaratne questioned the Police Prosecution on the charge of conspiracy stating that in order for an accused person to be charged with the said charge, it would need to be sanctioned by the Director of Public Prosecutions.
He said that the conspiracy charge was indictable compared to the other lesser offences.
He asked the Prosecution to reconsider the charge of conspiracy and advise the court today.
All four accused persons were remanded in custody and would reappear today at the Magistrates Court in Nausori.
Feedback: ashna.kumar@fijisun.com.fj